MISSION STATEMENT FOR INTERCOLLEGIATE ATHLETICS
The intercollegiate athletics program at the College of Southern Maryland provides an educational and competitive athletic experience for its student athletes integrating training for the mind as well as the body.
Athletics promotes, provides and encourages success in both athletics and academics.
INTERCOLLEGIATE ATHLETIC PROGRAM PHILOSOPHY
The intercollegiate athletics program is an extension of CSM’s commitment to “…prepare its students and community to meet the challenges of individual, social and global changes” (CSM Mission Statement). The directive therefore is to provide participants with the opportunity to set and achieve personal and team goals, cooperate with others in the spirit of sportsmanship and goodwill and expand their sphere of influence through exposure on the field of competition.
THE VALUE OF INTERCOLLEGIATE ATHLETICS
Intercollegiate athletics complement the mission of the college by serving to educate the participant and the observer about the lifetime skills of challenge and response, about teamwork, discipline and perseverance. Above all, athletics delivers a fundamental lesson: Goals worth achieving will be attained only through preparation, hard work and dedication and that sometimes those goals will not be enough to overcome the obstacles life places in our path. (The Value of Intercollegiate Athletics, JUCO Review, November 1999).
THE OBJECTIVES OF CSM ATHLETICS
Participation in athletics is a privilege and should benefit the student athlete as CSM seeks to:
- Ensure academic progress toward the completion of a degree and/or transfer to a four-year institution.
- Promote athletics as more than a mastery of movement skills, but rather as an emphasis upon the necessity to work for improvement of the mind and body.
- Encourage all administrators, coaches, players and managers to display a dedicated service approach and a high level of respect, tact and courtesy in dealing with other coaching staffs, officials, college staff members and members of the community.
- Accentuate sportsmanship, teamwork, and an appreciation of individual talents so as to attain greater compassion for others.
- Establish a competitive environment in which high skill levels are developed.
- Create a college spirit that brings pride, recognition and a sense of achievement to the institution as well as the participant.